A premalignant condition such as actinic keratosis can lead to something worse like a squamous cell carcinoma. Squamous cells are involved by this type of skin cancer, and our skin is made up of squamous cells. You must have actinic keratosis eliminated to lower your risks of having skin cancer.
Keratinocytes, when damaged can cause actinic keratosis. The bumpy and scaly characteristic is contributed by the thickening of the epidermis on the affected part. As the name suggest, it has something to do with keratin, the component of our hair and nails. This also contributes to actinic keratosis’ wart like appearance.
You better be cautious about that actinic keratosis if you don’t want it to turn to something worse. Since the squamous cells are flat, thin cells, they can be easily damaged by UV radiation from the sun. Skin cancer can be thwarted if one is cautious about queer changes on the skin.
Many treatments for actinic are now available, and its up to you which type of treatment would suit you best. Also know if you can meet the expense of the treatments, and also how worse your actinic keratosis is.
Actinic Keratosis Removal Treatments
• Laser surgery can be costly, but it’s worth every dollar when it comes to its effectiveness. Specifically, CO2 and Er-YAG lasers are used for actinic keratosis.
• Electrocautery employs electricity in burning of the actinic keratosis.
• The same as electrocautery, but this time, low temperature is used to congeal off cells affected by actinic keratosis. usually, liquid nitrogen is used for this form of treatment.
• Although commonly used for chemotherapy, 5-fluorouracil also helps to remove actinic keratosis. The reproduction of anomalous cells is blocked by this cream. It is immediately absorbed by the abnormal cells than the healthy cells. The treatment using this cream could be very harsh, but the results are satisfying.
• Aldara, or in general, imiquimod is an immune response modifier which can help remove actinic keratosis. Treating yourself with this can cause discomforts, but if you are really determined to get rid of your actinic keratosis, then you should endure the discomforts it can cause.
The abovementioned treatments are just some of the accessible treatments for actinic keratosis. You should consult a dermatologist or doctor before proceeding to a treatment so your overall health would be checked if you can undergo such treatments. You can be sure that your skin cancer risk is lowered if you have that actinic keratosis removed.